Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Seriously, so bored

Could someone knock my latest blog off the front page, please?

Anyone? anyone?

Perhaps you think you have nothing to say. Believe me, I can relate.

In fact, I've been thinking lately about Happy Valley. Remember the women who the film followed through rehab? Remember how, when she got clean, the camera panned in on her rolled up in fetal position like a deflated ballon--no air, no angst--and asked her how she was feeling? Remember she replied, "I feel just like everybody else . . . " poignant pause ". . . boring." And that honesty hung in the air for another poingant pause before she asked, "Is this how you feel everyday?"

Ah Ha!

Well that's how I feel today.

Question: Do you think mid-life crisis and mid-life boredom are like a rose by any other name would smell the same? (Do you think it would help if I went out and got myself a Mountain Dew addiction or something? ;)

Maybe I'm just experiencing mid-week boredom or mid-morning boredom.

OR, maybe I'm still coming down with/off/from PVB (Post Vacation Boredom) or PSFFRB (Post Super Fun Family Reunion Boredom)

At any rate, it's not like I'm sitting around playing solitaire and doing Sadoku puzzles all day, (although I did play one game of solitaire yesterday--for the challenge, of course--but I actually won (totally true story) so even that was a bit dull). I've got far too much to do, it's just that . . . (between me and you) . . . I'm bored silly doing it.

Okay, okay, I'm obviously overstating the obvious. But, for the record, folding laundry, scrubbing toilets and completing homework rituals, dinner preparations and carpool coordinations on my own doesn't hold the same charge as talking story on the back porch while Bobbi does makeovers, or watching So You Think You Can Dance with 50 people while eating chicken chalupas, IF you know what I mean. (Speaking of SYTYCD--Wasn't the finale exhilarating!!?)

Yes, I admit, I MISS YOU ALL!

But besides the boredom we are fine and dandy. The twins are having a challenging time staying awake in the 4th grade because their teacher is very sweet, but (ironically) very boring.

Zach is learning how to organize his time and energy to meet the homework demands of Junior High and he's scared silly of becoming a BG (bang geek) since we strongly suggested/borderline forced him to sign up for band.

RANDOM SIDENOTE: He passed the sacrament for the first time on Sunday, with his extraordinary deer-in-the-headlights focus. Proud mom moment!

Tatum is in High School and, since Bobbi taught me to curl hair with a straightener, she's sporting that Disney-Channel-teen-rock-star kinda vibe. In schizophrenic fashion she has joined the debate team, while still juggling dance team, 3 soccer leagues, the Koolau Choir and the tennis team. Rumor has it she is slated as the best girl on the varsity team (this is how small our town is). And then she has the nerve to say she's not good at anything. (Could someone please slap her!)

Alan has had next-to-no transition back to reality (doesn't that mean I miss you more? ;) He's pleasant and content and ever so happy to slip right back into action (except when it comes to scout mastering). He makes sure we tread water for an hour at the pool a few times a week, take our early morning walks on the beach (where sometimes it's so strikingly beautitul if hurts. Almost makes you want to hurt it back ;) and smack the tennis ball around as often as possible. He's been dragging the kids to the tennis courts a lot since we've been home and is getting ready to coach the twins soccer team. His biggest thrill was patching our Sante Fe's flat tire all by himself. (He finds such joy in the little things. ;)

Me? I re-orgainzed the visiting teaching list. YAWN! Oh, and I did have a GNO (girls night out) for Creme Brule' at Turtle Bay, where I got super wild and convinced the other girls to petition for more form fitting garments. (I may be excommunicated shortly). I also took the family on a hike to a massive 100 foot trickling water fall. I have never seen Hawaii so thirsty.

On the movie front: Despite the title, Hellboy II, is an awesome family flick, (once we got Tatum over her I'm-NOT-going-to-see-a-movie-with-a-swear-word-in-it mentality). And Batman II was pretty darn powerful. That Joker said some eerily ironic lines that made me go Hmmmmm. . . Lot's of complexity to contemplate in that film.

So that's all the nothingness I had to say. Now can someone please knock me off the first page! ;)

P.S. Heres' a link to a hilarious new tongue-in-cheek blog called seriouslysoblessed. Check it out for a good laugh.

http://seriuslysoblessed.com/

2 comments:

The Framptons said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Framptons said...

Hey Deb I am still trying to catch my breath from laughing at all your blog entries. I love reading what you write. BTW I'll sign that petition for low rise G's.

-Bobbi

Chase's Neighbor Killed in Apartment Fire